Thursday, March 30, 2017

Sawyer's birth story

In doctor's visits leading up to his arrival, Sawyer continued to show up in breech position. My other babies had performed similar tricks but always turning around 36 weeks. I hoped and prayed this 4th baby would follow suit. At 38 weeks my doctor suggested we try doing a version and turn him head down. David and I went to Labor and deliver at the hospital. They started an IV and after the 4th attempt, they finally got one going. Dr. Henderson and Dr. Diegman came in and Henderson placed his hands on my belly turning you head down. It wasn't that difficult to turn you and we were all thrilled it had worked. I started texting everyone that had been praying for the morning. They monitor you for the next 2 hours and in that time I could feel you moving. And then I felt that familiar feeling, your little head under my right ribs. I knew you had turned back. They called Dr. Henderson back and he actually attempted a version again. Successfully turning you head down. And guess what? you moved back to your happy place. We gave two good attempts and you just wanted to stay where you were happiest. We left the hospital that day thinking we would likely be scheduling a C-section, trying to turn you again, or you could flip on your own since you could clearly move so freely.

That next week I felt like I was running out of time. We had scheduled a time to be admitted at 39 weeks and 2 days we would come back to the hospital for you to have your birth day. 

I wanted to give you time. All of your brothers went past their due date, so I didn't want to rush you, but knew if you got too much bigger they might have a hard time completing the version. I tried different yoga positions, spinning babies positions of leaning down on my elbows trying to get you to move. I even went to the chiropractor for him to try the Webster technique. I would have tried anything. 

We prepared to leave your brothers with Meme and went up to the hospital around 7 a.m. on January 30th, 2017. We got to our room and met our nurse Jamie. She was great. She knew I didn't want a C-section but was prepared to get me through anything with a good experience. She had a great attitude and just kept saying it was going to be a good day. Dr. Henderson came in and they popped the ultrasound on and you were head down! We were shocked. We decided to go forward with things and since we were inducing, I was going to go ahead and get my epidural. I did feel some movement from you. When Dr. Henderson came back you had turned again and there you were breech. No one could believe that you could move around that much this late in the game. 

So there we were with the original plan. Try a version. Dr. Henderson had his partner Diegman there and Henderson turned you and Diegman held you in place when you got head down. They broke my water and we hoped that would be enough to make you stay head down and we could progress from there. Due to the epidural or my position, I started to vagal...almost passing out and turned pale on everyone. But my nurse was on it and gave me some medicine to help me from blacking out. Diegman was on the left side as he kept holding you in place trying to give you plenty of time to stay put. He has been doing this probably 60 years and has so much experience and is quite the character. I was glad he was there this day. When he took his hands off you stayed in your place and they started the pitocin and increased it to my contractions stronger to push your head down. The next few hours, I laid on one side or the other and in a sitting position trying to get you moving down. I prayed constantly for you. I prayed that you didn't move, and that your head would stay down and that I could progress and be about to give birth to you like I desired. They prayer was all I could do and think about. Thankfully you did and you were born after 2 contractions and 5 pushes at 3:48 pm.





You were immediately placed on my chest. Daddy cut the cord. Everyone was relieved and thrilled you were here! They wiped you off some, but you never left my chest for the next hour. You were able to nurse and we really bonded during this special time.


The big brothers came up and were so very excited to see you and hold you. They had eagerly anticipated your arrival. Meme and Granddaddy were both there too to meet you. We had you all to ourself for the first two hours of your life. Then the nurses came and weighed and measured you and took you to the nursery for bath and assessments. But you were perfect. So perfect. So thankful for your precious life. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment