Thursday, March 30, 2017

Grandmama


Sawyer Henley Johnson was born January 30, 2017. I could not wait for my grandmama to be able to meet and hold her namesake.

(Grandmama meeting Sawyer Henley Johnson)

I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandparents. Grandmama would be the one to pick me up from school and take me to dance. I played in the Japanese Magnolia tree in her backyard and picked countless flowers that surrounded her house. She was the one who inspired me to learn to cook. I vividly remember walking in her backdoor and hearing the sound of peas cooking in a pot rattling on the stove and how hot cornbread looked and smelled coming out of the cast-iron skillet. She not only taught me how to cook but how to cook from the heart. She was always making food to share or take to others. It's what southern women do. We like to feed people. She was a great hostess. Whether she was hosting Thanksgiving dinner, hosting garden club or just welcoming a guest that entered her home...they were going to be offered something to eat or drink.

(Grandmama on the far left)

She loved the outdoors. She and Pop enjoyed being outside whether they were fishing or turkey hunting in her younger days, they both had a love and appreciation for God's creation. They worked with their hands and had an incredible vegetable garden. She would put up food and share with friends and neighbors. Her yard was it's own magical place. She had quite the green thumb and grew beautiful roses amongst other flowers such as day lilies, gerber daisies, azaleas, daisies, camellias, and hydrangeas just to name a few. I remember the smell and warmth of going in her green house with her and the many plants that lined the shelves. She and Pop composted and had the richest dirt...also a great place to find earthworms to fish with. 

(me pictured on her back steps with the roses they grew)








I have fond memories of playing baby dolls at her house. We would also go downtown to Ms. Eloise's gift shop and she would let me pick out a new baby doll. I liked being a little mother even then... little did I know I would have 4 boys of my own one day.  She helped me learn my Bible verses for Awana. She and Pop exhibited a Christian marriage and David and I were happy to share an anniversary with them.

But I think the biggest takeaway was how she led her life. She was a believer and had great faith in God. She was a strong woman and I believe her strength came from the Lord. That is how she loved like she did, gave generously with her time and energy and persevered through hard times. She loved us all so well.

She delighted in her family. Her sons were her heart. And her grandchildren and great grandsons brought her great joy.

I am going to miss her dearly, but I know I will see her again...until then, she is with me every time I pull that hot skillet of cornbread out of the oven, when I set the table for Thanksgiving or place a beautiful rose from my rosebush in a vase. She taught me how to love those around me well, without ever giving me a lesson.




(Christmas 2016 with Dad, Reid, Collin, my husband David, me, Grandmama and Owen)




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful well written tribute to one of the sweetest southern ladies I know.
    She was beautiful inside and out and was a great example of what a wife, mother, and grandmother should be.
    I look forward to seeing her again real soon!
    Much peace, comfort and continued prayers for all of you.

    Lisa Horsley

    ReplyDelete