Monday, May 7, 2012

Great Grandparents

I have been so fortunate to have such special relationships with my grandparents.


Not many 27 year olds, are lucky enough to have both sets of grandparents still in their life.

                 I have had the best of both worlds developing and and investing in these relationships.


 The first half of my childhood, I lived in Jackson. I spent so much time at Grandmama and Pop's house. I watched Pop work in his garden, helped shell peas, pick tomatoes. Watched my grandmother prepare amazing meals with their fresh vegetables. Grandmama loved working in her yard and greenhouse, taking care of her plants and flowers. Pop would often bring some in for her to enjoy. He has always been so thoughtful and considerate of her. I remember fish fries, holiday meals, and always lots of fellowship around the table. They were big hunters and fishermen and passed this love of the land down to their family. I always played baby dolls at Grandmama's house and would climb in the Japanese Magnolia tree (until I fell and knocked the breath out of myself).

 

Things have changed in the last few years. Pop is 94 and Grandmama 91, they do incredibly well, all things considered, but they aren't able to get up and about as they once did. They can't get out in their yard, and you can see the changes each time you visit. They keep up with us and know what is going on with our lives. They think the world of their great Grandson and he brings the most joy to them. 

I could not even consider going to Texas without telling them goodbye. This move will be the most far we been from home and we will not get to visit as often. That made this goodbye a little harder. I was telling Pop how much I loved him and how much I appreciate everything he does for us. He had a little tear in his eye as we said goodbye. That was hard.



The second part of the story is Gammy and Papa. We would visit when we were younger. They taught us to love books, and spent lots of time reading with us. When we moved to Greenville when I was in the fourth grade, I  spent lots of time at Gammy and Papa's house. Gammy would pick us up everyday after school. She would get to hear the drama of the school day or about "that" boy that later became my husband. I sat at her kitchen table and did my homework, worked on school projects, would go to and from dance and cheering.



 When David and I started dating we would even go and hang out at Gammy and Papa's. I know is sounds like a crazy thing to do in high school...but we enjoyed them, we enjoyed their company.


I loved seeing David with my family. I loved seeing him get to know them and enjoy them and see why I love them. The way you can only get to know people by being around them.


I can describe moments and memories spent with my grandparents, but it's those little times in between. The "just being with them" moments. Moments that you can't plan. Sitting around the table, standing in the kitchen, laughing, crying, just being there.


The thing is, you can't force relationship like these or make something be that is not there. The foundations of these relationships started when I was a little girl. These people invested in my little life, taught me, encouraged me and loved on me when I needed.


And I am grateful for them and have so much respect for each one of them. 


And I can take bits of pieces of each of them wherever I go.



Whether it is Pop's peacemaker spirit, Grandmama's hospitality, Gammy's joy, or Papa's precision...they are a piece of me.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I got a lump in my throat reading this! You are certainly very blessed to still have both sets of grandparents in your life. I'm so glad you got to spend some time with all of them before you head west. Thanks for sharing your family stories and history with us...I love reading it!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete