I have been asked to give you my first attempt at blogging as “guest blogger” since I have finally gotten out of my chair and have something to blog about. It has become a family joke that Meme is going to go canoeing on the Cahaba and see the lilies one day. I have been talking about this for years and finally thanks to my sweet brother and his family- I FINALLY WENT!
Meme
Caroline canoeing
We went along with a small group on a short section on the Cahaba west of Montevallo, and we even got a little tutorial on the river and the Cahaba lilies from our group’s leader. Pretty much anyone could make this short trip. Even with our poor steering (we only rammed a few other canoes) we were able to get down the river to Hargrove Shoals for a picnic lunch and paddle back to our starting point.
The Cahaba River goes from shoals to deep pools. You can take a break and cool off sitting in the shallow shoals or go for a swim in the deep pools in between. There are lots of rocks above and below the water, so yes there is a bit of canoe dragging. But if you go with a 16 year old like I did ( ha) that’s not a problem. But I now understand why it is important to wear some water shoes to help you get a footing on those submerged rocks as you drag your canoe across the narrow shoals. No white water on this trip.
So if you are looking for a great outdoor activity in May or early June, I highly recommend canoeing on the Cahaba to see the lilies bloom….who knows, maybe I will get up my nerve to go on one of the night trips. I hear that is when the lilies are most fragrant. Would be excellent if there was a full moon!
wow!! I have never heard of these lilies, how beautiful!! You just gave me an idea for a kayak trip!!
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful! Very happy you were able to take such a fun trip! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWell hi, Elizabeth's mom :) You did a great job with your guest post! You know, living in Jefferson County and teaching in Shelby County, I think it's shameful I've never been out to see the lilies. You've just inspired me to add something to my summer "bucket list"...thanks!
ReplyDelete*Julie