Saturday, February 4, 2012

17 months

Owen had a well check up this week. We missed our 15 month appointment due to traveling so we caught back up with Dr. P this month.

Owen is 34 inches tall putting him in the 95th percentile for height. He weighs 23.8 pounds and is a growing healthy boy.

He is just going to be long and lean I think. He really has turned into a good eater (which goes to show you babies change). I love when people tell me "he is such a good eater", because he was not always this way.

He loves meat: chicken, ham, turkey, beef. He likes noodles, cheese, yogurt, hummus, peanut butter, different kinds of beans, pizza, pimento cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, oatmeal, tomato soup, broccoli cheese soup and cereal. He likes fruit: grapes, strawberries, bananas, mandarin oranges. As with anything, sometimes he gets burnt out on things, so we are always trying new things and always try to offer what we are eating.

He will let you know if he doesn't want it...that leads us to Owen has learned to word "no", so he will answer you if he doesn't want something. It's kinda funny right now, but I am sure that will not be funny later.

Owen can say about 35 words. The speech pathologist in me loves to hear his expressive language grow. He continues to use some signs such as eat, more, bath and hat.

(Erik Johnson, a silhouette artist made this silhouette of Owen this week. I love that he captured Owens's sweet baby curls. Amazing to watch him work and cut the silhouette in a matter of minutes. Even more amazing...that Owen sat still for him to do it!)


He continues to be a very active child. Loves to climb. We have to keep the chairs pushed against the table, because he will be on top of the table in about 2 seconds.

Owen takes one nap a day after lunch and sleeps for 3 hours. He was never really a great napper as a baby, so I love that I can count on that long afternoon nap now.

It's funny how kids just work things out like the eating and sleeping. I always worried that I was doing something wrong when Owen wouldn't eat much or nap well when he was younger...I shouldn't have worried. All kids are different.

Another change in the past 2 months is he finally likes to sleep with something to "love" on. He has a little puppy dog that our friend Amy gave Owen. He loves that little dog and hold onto him when he goes to sleep. If we don't have puppy, baby Elmo also will do the job.

Owen knows body parts: eyes, nose, mouth, ears, teeth, toes, feet, hands, and belly button. He has a mouthful of 16 teeth.

His favorite shape is the star...he points them out anytime he sees one.

We are doing Music Together class again and he LOVES it. He lights up in music and runs and spins...so so happy. We did this last year and he enjoyed it, but can really get involved with it this year by shaking shakers, bells, and other instruments. It is one of our favorite things we have done here in Huntsville.

Favorite books: Llama Llama Red Pajama, Baby Jesus Book

This is such a fun age and I definitely have a little buddy. He can be very spirited but also so sweet too. I love his little personality and am thankful for a healthy, growing, little boy that God blessed our lives with.

2 comments:

  1. Did you go to Posh Mommy to have that done? I love it! I wish I had known about it, bc I would have hit that opportunity up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Owen is doing so great, and your reminders to not worry when things aren't as WE plan they should be at first! It seems like Owen is an even better eater than I am!!!

    ReplyDelete